A-Kon® understands the desire of many fans to carry props during the convention to support a costume or character. While we support the devotion and creativity, we unfortunately must place some limits on what you can safely carry around during the convention, and what you may use onstage during the cosplay.
A-Kon® reserves the right to refuse the entry of any prop or weapon it decides is unfit for the convention. All props or weapons must support the overall look of a costume or character. Misuse of a prop or weapon can be considered grounds for removal or ejection from the convention. Any display of an item in an aggressive or threatening manner, real or implied regardless of intent, or any other activity thought to be unsafe in the view of the Staff Head of Kon Patrol is strictly forbidden.
All weapons and props must be checked with Kon Patrol
- Airsoft weapons must be permanently disabled, this means that nothing may pass through the barrel, not even a puff of air. Disabled Airsoft must still have a bright tip and be checked with Kon Patrol.
- Replica and futuristic firearms are allowed only if such weapon cannot be misconstrued to be a real firearm. A cap made of bright colored plastic (orange, red, yellow) may be placed OVER the end of the barrel and secured against removal. This includes any weapon that may be “fired” such as a homemade replica. While an obviously non-lethal weapon such as a water gun is allowed as a prop, they may not be filled.
- Bows or other manual/automatic projectile replicas are allowed only if they are rendered incapable of firing a projectile. This means that a bow must either be unstrung or strung with a soft yarn or similar material that can not hold enough tension to propel an object. If you wish to carry arrows as part of this prop they must be un-tipped.
- Staves and canes are acceptable as long as they are carried as a walking stick with one point on the ground. There are a lot of people in tight walkways so having it over the shoulder can cause accidents.
- Bats are considered a weapon, metal or wooden bats will not be allowed. Soft foam or inflatable materials are acceptable as long as they are carried properly and with caution.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you are under 18 you are not allowed to carry Bokken, live steel swords or hard wood weapons. This is per the law and officers might ticket you and your parents if caught.
Some replica weapons such as swords or other props integral to a costume may be presented to Kon Patrol at the kiosk for consideration of peace bonding. Peace bonding is the securing by Kon Patrol of a weapon so that it cannot be drawn or used. Any tampering of the peace bonding is a violation of the weapons policy and is subject to removal from the convention.Some exceptions may require you to sign a code of conduct for that weapon or prop.
Costumes that could be confused with local, state, or federal law enforcement of any kind are not permitted on the convention floor. Kon Patrol reserves the right to determine if a uniform or costume resembles an unacceptable real world uniform at its sole and absolute discretion. Any and all costume and prop restrictions for the Main Programming Cosplay event will be eligible for special approval for that event only.
Oversized costumes may require you to provide a guide and/or spotter to help you navigate crowds and narrow spaces safely.
Signs are not allowed in any shape form or fashion. This includes, but is not limited to cardboard, poster board, notebook paper or shirts you have written things such as “hug me” glomp me, or any other request to be touched or fondled.
Construction Advice and Guidelines
Construction materials play a key role in what is to be allowed or not allowed for general use and display at A-Kon®.
The use of metals, hard woods, and industrial plastics are not encouraged as they tend to leave sharp or pointed edges and make items too heavy. We have to worry about drop hazards since you will be carrying this for most of the day.
Soft woods such as balsa or fir woods or light rattan make excellent choices for building materials as they are neither heavy nor hard if an accident occurs and someone is inadvertently stuck. (Another suggested material construction method is to layer cardboard (3 pieces) together using hot glue. Then just bevel the edges by slicing away a bit of the first and third piece at the blade edge and fill it in with some Model Magic making sure that the resultant edge is rounded and not sharp.)
Sharp or pointed edges on any material are not permitted, and must be filed, padded, or otherwise protected against unwanted contact. Soft to the touch should at least have a half inch of give to it when pushed with a finger on the actual tip.
At any time, should a Director or Executive of A-Kon® see a weapon being carried or being used in an unsafe manner, the individual will be brought to the attention of Staff Head of Kon Patrol. The Dallas Police Department will be present on site, and they have the right to require removal of an item, above and beyond convention Kon Patrol.
On Stage, non-firing toy weapons will be allowed without peace bonding, but be aware that any “live” weapons will result in immediate eviction from the stage. Also, no food, animals or remote control devices are allowed on stage. Once the Cosplay event is over any props used on stage MUST be either returned to their hotel room or checked by Kon Patrol.