Since 2003, A-Kon has provided an space for fan exhibitions and performances which are best shown in an open area outside a regular panel room. Past demonstrations and special programs have included: LARP and boffer groups, martial arts demos, musical performances, and dance demos. We are always open to new ideas: if you want to show something off, try us out!
|Special Programming Hours of Operation|
|Location: Trinity Ballroom|
Uses of the special event / demonstration space
- Boffer groups
- Sparring events
- Musical performances
- Other events which require a venue outside a normal panel room
Demo space specs:
- Location: 1st floor of the convention center between Registration and the Artist Alley
- Area: 30′ x 30′ roped off from the main floor area
- You must bring any floor padding or safety equpiment you need. The area has carpet only, with no padding.
- No storage
- You must request sound equipment if you need it. Avalable equpiment:
- power extension cords
- associated cables
- A power supply maintained by the hotel is nearby
- Water stations maintained by the hotel are nearby
- If you bring your own equipment, neither A-Kon nor the hotel assume responsibility for anything that may happen to it.
- Groups using the demo space may not charge fees for participation in their events, but may use the demo table for sales of associated items, such as LARP gear, boffer weapons, CDs, and other paraphernalia.
To apply for special event / demonstration space:
To submit an application for use of the demo spaces, or to request information, please contact A-Kon Special Events at firstname.lastname@example.org for details.
Deadline: Applications are accepted at any time before the convention, but time slots are frequently full by the end of February. All information must be received no later than April 1st.
If there are more applicants than time slots available, a waiting list will be established on a first-come, first-served basis. Should an accepted group either bow out or fail to provide all required information by the April 1st deadline, they will be dropped in favor of one of the groups on the waiting list. Once on-site, you must check in with the Special Events staff at least one hour before the start times of your events, and, if you are more than fifteen minutes late in starting without contacting our department about the delay, that demo time will be cancelled.
Submitting an application means you have read, understood, and accepted these requirements.
Your application documents should include the following:
- The name of your group
- A contact name
- Contact information: address, phone number, e-mail address
- Equipment requests (see above)
- A detailed description of your proposed event. Please be very specific about what your group does.
- Website URL
- A brief blurb about your group for the website and program book, should we accept the application
- A logo or icon for your group for the website and program book, should we accept the application
- Copies of any waiver forms you use for both adults and minors if your group has audience participation as part of its demo
- Indicate what days and times you would like for your activity. Time slots come in one-hour increments, but you may be given multiple consecutive slots.
- Many demo groups qualify for four convention badges in return for their demos or performances. If you believe your group qualifies, please state why you think so and the names of those who will receive the badges.
- Artist Alley or Dealers Room table: If you wish an AA or dealers’ room table in addition to your use of the demo space, please contact those departments directly as space assignments in their respective areas are entirely at their discretion. Their space fills up even faster than does ours, so the sooner you apply the better your chances. Similarly, if you wish to use a regular panel room for any reason, please contact Programming directly for information.