Art Show - Artist Registration Rules
Artist Registration Rules
A-Kon® is pleased to welcome you to the 2016 Project A-Kon Art Show!
We are excited to announce that there are a few exciting changes this year:
- New, Experienced Staff to facilitate a friendly, Customer Service oriented gallery and art sale.
- New Gallery Format, including scheduled, guided tours
- Extended Hours with an early auction and special sale following the auction.
- Fully Automated Registration and Submission Process for Artists that will facilitate quick payment processing and check in/out process -- All Checks mailed within 7 days, Guaranteed!
As always, Project A-Kon Art Show will have constant security during the exhibition hours, and will be locked at all other times. If additional security needs are anticipated, please contact Art Show Director, Sandra Kochenower (SandyK) at email@example.com.
Please request your reservations as early as possible, as placement is first come, first serve. At the bottom of this page is a link to an information request form. Submit and you will receive an invoice for your requested space within 72 hours. Upon receipt of payment, you will be sent your login information to the online registration site.
IF space is available, walk-in artists will be permitted, however, Pre-registered artists have first pick of space. If you are a walk-in artist, please check in at 11:30 Friday morning.
Guidelines for exhibits:
- This year pre-registration prices are $20 per table (6’ x 30”) and $15.00 per 4' x 4' panel.
- Walk-in prices will be $25.00 per table and $20.00 per panel. *(A note on walk-ins) - Because walk-in space is limited, we may choose to jury walk-in art. To avoid this please Pre-Register.
- Half-tables or half-panels will be available at the discretion of the Art Show Director
- If we do not receive your payment or mail-in work by May 27, space cannot be guaranteed and Walk-in prices will be applied. There are no refunds.
❖Commission rates have been lowered to 8% on all Art sales, and 10% on all Print Shop Sales ❖
- Mail-in Art should include a diagram for piece layout, there is an additional $5 hanging fee.
- Art should be of Anime, Science Fiction, or Fantasy theme in some way, whether by subject, character, design, or other interpretation.
- Per the Project A-Kon Bootleg policies, bootleg items will not be allowed in the Art Show. All Artwork should be of original concept or creation and NOT subject to trademark or copyright by another party.
- Pieces of an adult nature must be covered so that the general public cannot see inappropriate parts. It is the Art Show Director's discretion to sensor as appropriate.
- If we receive a complaint about a piece of artwork, we will investigate. Pieces will be removed or permitted at Director's discretion.
- Artwork deemed more professional in quality and presentation by the directors or staff, will be hung on premier panels and all other work will fill out the rest of the show. Project A-Kon Art Show may refuse to display pieces for any reasons we see fit. Works judged to be libelous, plagiaristic, obscene, or detrimental to the value of trademarked characters, are not permitted. The staff expects not to need to invoke this rule.
- We request that all two dimensional entries be mounted in some way for their protection. We will not be responsible for damage to your piece if it is not matted / mounted / or backed.
❖If you are entering a number of pieces and do not hang them yourself, submission will be treated as a Mail-in submission and subject to Item #5 in this agreement. ❖
Items not prepared appropriately for display will not be hung, unless there is left over space in the show after all matted work is hung.
- All pieces must be clearly labeled on the back, with the artist's name and address. Small stickers may be attached for purposes of show inventory and security. These labels need not be permanently attached to the original, but will need to be attached to the mount. Labels will be available for this purpose on-site.
❖Mail-in art missing this information will either not be hung or will be charged an additional Setup fee of $5 if a Staff member has to create said labels. ❖
❖❖NEW This year, our registration is online and will generate appropriate control sheets and bid sheets for this purpose. You will be sent this link once you have requested entry, been approved and submitted payment. ❖❖
- Thurs Evening Setup (and Artist Setup if they are present.) As soon as we are able to move into room and it can be built, expected to begin at 12pm. *Artists will be permitted in the room only once show structure is fully built.
- Friday Morning Artist Setup begins at 7:30am be completed by Noon. *No hanging will take place during public operation hours due to liability issues.
- Pre-Registered Artists will be allowed entry at 7:30 am
- Walk-in’s will not be permitted until 10:30 am
- Show open to public from 1:30 to 9:00 PM
- Saturday - 9:00 AM until 4pm
- Auction @ 4:30pm, next door in Obelisk B
- Special After Auction Sale begins closing of Auction (Est 6:30pm) until 10:00pm
This is a Ticketed Event: Tickets Acquired from Art Show Staff by making purchase during Fri and Sat Show hours, or attending Auction (Also open to all Dealers, Exhibitors and Artist Alley Participants)
- 10:30 AM - 4:00 PM Open to Public
- 4:00 PM Artists Pick up
- 5:30 Tear down
- *Pre-registered Artists unable to meet the hanging schedule requirements must contact the Director and notify her directly, in order to make special arrangements. Not doing so risks the loss of reserved space as well as entrance fee.
- *We do NOT guarantee walk-in space. Walk-in space is sold on a first come, first served basis and may be juried as we see fit. If you want to guarantee your space, You Must PreRegister.
- Once entered in the show, no piece may be withdrawn before 3:00 p.m. on Sunday, except by special arrangement with the Art Show Director. This is so that those who attend on Sunday will see as much of the full exhibit as possible. If you know at the beginning of the show that you are leaving before 3:00 p.m. on Sunday, please inform the Art Show Director upon check-in. If you cannot reclaim your work yourself, please make arrangements with the Art Show Staff beforehand, otherwise, we will not release your work until we have your direct approval.
- We provide hooks and binder clips for hanging. If you do not want your work crimped, or have a piece that needs to be hung in a different way, you must provide the means to do so yourself. Regardless of what means you utilize for hanging your work, we are not responsible for damaged artwork.
- This show will function additionally as a sale. If you plan not to sell works, please notify the Art Show Director at the time you register for the Art Show. We do charge a minimal fee of 8% on all Auction or Quick Sale sales.
- Commission on Print Shop items is 10%. We are not responsible for damage to Print Shop sale items, so please mount pieces in protective acetate at minimum. It is best to bring a folder, or provide a mounted sample copy or display. Print Shop space may be limited, therefore there is no table or panel fee.
- As noted, there will be a live Auction on Saturday. How many bids to bring the piece to auction depend on how many total bids are made. If many pieces are bid upon, 4 or more bids will send your piece to auction. If not, every piece with 2 bids will go to auction. As all matters, this is at the Art Show Director’s discretion and will be posted by noon on Saturday.
- You must check out all pieces present when you check out of the show, even if you have a piece that has been bid on and marked as sold, but has not been paid for by the winner. We will give you the name and address of the winner (on request) so that you can make inquiries as to why it was not purchased, but we WILL NOT be responsible for doing so if you have left the piece. If you leave a piece, and the buyer does not pay for it, you WILL NOT be paid for it. If you want any remaining pieces returned to you after the show, you must submit a check for shipping and handling, or agree to have it deducted from your sales. Otherwise, all abandoned pieces will then become property of the art show.
By submitting your information via the form below, you are agreeing to the following Statement of Warranty / Responsibility of the Artist:
The convention leases space to artists to display and sell artwork. I, the artist, understand that it is my responsibility, not the responsibility of the convention or its management, to make certain that the artwork I, the artist, display and sell at the convention is lawful and legal in and of itself; that it is not in violation of any copyright, patent, or trademark; that it was obtained from me in a lawful manner; and that its display and/or sale does not violate any law or ordinance. I, the artist, warrant that my artwork does comply with these requirements. I, the artist, agree that the convention and its management, as individuals or as a group, shall be held harmless in case of any violation, and that I shall make good any damage, cost, loss, or penalty incurred by my breach of this warranty.
The Art Show Director reserves the right to change or amend these rules, on site, as the situation dictates.
The registration form can be found Here
A-Kon® 28 at the Fort Worth Convention Center
The Fort Worth Convention Center is within walking distance of thousands of downtown Fort Worth hotel rooms, a variety of delicious restaurants and fabulous shopping. It offers more than 250,000 square feet of exhibit space, nearly 60,000 square feet of flexible meeting space, an impressive 28,160 square-foot ballroom, a 13,500 person events arena, and a 55,000 square foot events plaza that connects to the one-of-a-kind Fort Worth Water Gardens.