Promotional Art Contest
A-Kon® needs original artwork for flyers, t-shirts, and other promotional needs! We are looking for images that will effectively portray A-Kon® while getting people excited about the convention and getting the word out. There are several excellent opportunities for artists to get a lot of great exposure, so please pay particular attention to each of the sections below for important information you will need when submitting your artwork. We are willing to work with you to answer specific questions in regards to your submission to make the best use of your time and talent.
The theme this year for A-Kon cyperpunk, cyborg, futuristic.. along the lines of Ghost in the Shell, Psycho Pass, Blade Runner, and Shadow Run, to name just a few examples.
Be creative, have fun, and please remember that our con is an “all ages con” so no horror or bloody images please.
|Type of Art Required||Deadline for Submission|
Please observe the following guidelines when creating your artwork. The A-Kon® staff will be reviewing all submissions based on these guidelines. The A-Kon® staff reserves the right to reject any submission, and may make revisions or send the artwork back for changes as it deems necessary.
- Appropriateness to Audience and Theme:
- Does the artwork depict A-Kon® in a positive manner? Does it fit the defined theme? Is it anime or anime-related in some way? Please avoid any inappropriate use or representation of violence, profanity, drugs, or sex in the artwork.
- Ability to be reproduced across Multiple Mediums:
- A-Kon® artwork will used for various promotional purposes, including t-shirts, posters, flyers, program books. Please submit artwork that is scalable with minimal loss of quality (vectorized or lossless compression) and print ready (CMYK color, bleed spaces, etc). Please refer to the Technical and Design Requirements section for more detailed information.
- Art Quality:
- Please try to submit your best work. The A-Kon® staff will reject any submission if it feels that the art does not meet its quality standards.
- Please observe international copyright laws when creating your work. Do not use any copyrighted characters or work that has been created previously for other clients or by others. If you use any fonts in your design, please ensure that they are of your own design or are in the public domain.
Please submit all designs to Contest email. For electronic files under 8 MB, please send them via email to email@example.com.
When submitting your artwork, please specify which type of artwork you are submitting when you send the files. Please also include a link to your online portfolio (if you have one), and your contact information, including your real full name (pseudonyms and D.B.A.s are fine, but please don’t use your online alias), mailing address, email, and phone number. Your personal information will remain confidential, but is necessary to be able to contact you in the event you win.
Technical and Design Requirements
All artwork must be submitted in electronic format. Photoshop or Illustrator formats are preferred, but any format is acceptable. Please avoid lossy compression (i.e. jpgs).
- T-Shirt Designs
- 55-60 lines per inch (about 140dpi)
Avoid use of gradient colors or blending black into any other color. The silk-screening process adds in the black layer as the last step, which could affect the art’s final look.
Use heavy lines and avoid use of fine details. Colors in the silk-screening process can bleed easily and cause a loss of fidelity in design and color in the final product.
- Black and White Art Designs
- 300-600 dots per inch (DPI)
Black and White and Grayscale art accepted.
Must fit (or be scalable to):
- 5 x 8.5 inches
- 5 x11 inches
- 75 x 10.5 inches
Leave space available for text – this will be for information about A-Kon®.
- Black and White Line Art (Flyers)
- 300-600 DPI
Must be scalable to 3.5 x 2 inches
- Color Art
- 300-600 DPI
Must fit (or be scalable to) 6.75 x 10.5 inches
Must be print ready (bleed margins for full bleed, CMYK)
May be converted to grayscale depending on need
Rewards and Compensation
All artists whose works are accepted must sign a Work-For-Hire agreement that transfers copyright of their submission to Phoenix Entertainment, D.B.A. A-Kon, before they may be compensated. Artists will retain the right to use their creation in a portfolio and for personal use.
Artists whose work is accepted for publication may be compensated in one or more of the following methods:
- Free admission to the convention
- Cash equivalent for parking through the weekend
- Free t-shirt
If you art is chosen for the A-Kon 27 T-Shirt Design you will receive:
- Two Free Shirts
- Cash equivalent for two nights’ stay at the convention hotel
- Published credits throughout the convention (including the website, flyers, etc.)
Winners that have already purchased admission to the convention may be reimbursed or credited for the next convention.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
- What are some examples of restricted designs?
- A-Kon® is not only a fan-friendly, but also a family-friendly event. As stated in the Guidelines, we would like to avoid any representation of violence, profanity, drugs, and sex in the art that we use.
- Representations of violence may include, but are not limited to: A firing gun, a gun pointed at another character or at the viewer, explosions, blood, and use of a weapon in a threatening manner.
- Examples of profanity may include, but are not limited to: profane gestures and curse words.
- Representations of drugs may include, but are not limited to: Use or display of alcohol, smoking, drug paraphernalia, chemical formula for known controlled substances, and unrefined ingredients for known controlled substances.
- Examples of sex include: scantily clad or nude characters, provocative poses, and suggestive interactions between characters.
If you are uncertain of whether or not your idea falls into any of these categories, first ask yourself whether you’d be comfortable showing this to someone’s mother, or if you’d be comfortable wearing a t-shirt with your art to work. If all else fails, please share your design ideas with the A-Kon® staff so that we can give you suggestions!
Copyrighted characters are also prohibited, as these images are meant to represent our show, not anime, manga, games that may be shown at our show, so please make sure all images are your own.
- Who should I contact with questions?
- Please send all inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have a sketch or a small version of your idea ready, please also send that for reference.
- Can A-Kon® reimburse me monetarily for my work?
- Unfortunately, no. Only the winners of the t-shirt contest receive monetary compensation. However, you will be reimbursed in some fashion depending on the quantity and/or quality of the artwork you submit, and you will get at least one copy of whatever medium your artwork is produced on.
- What is A-Kon®’s target audience?
- The average A-Kon® attendee is between 15 and 25, with an even male to female ratio. However, we may also reach out to specific demographics with targeted advertising, such as a younger audience in a children’s publication, or to more mature fans at colleges. If you have a specific target in mind, please make note of that with your submission.
- Can I submit artwork as part of a team?
- Yes! Artists and graphic designers may collaborate on any work. Both artists will get credit, though A-Kon® will only compensate one person if only a single piece is accepted; if more than one piece is accepted, then multiple people may be compensated as appropriate.
- Will I receive credit for my contribution?
- Yes, you will be credited in the A-Kon® program book and web site, and any signature that you have on the artwork will be kept intact.
- Can I submit my art in a hardcopy format (canvas, paper)?
- Unfortunately, we do not have any way to convert a canvas piece into electronic format. However, if you have artwork on standard-sized paper (up to 8.5 x 14 inches) that can be scanned, then we can accept it. Please keep in mind that A-Kon® cannot guarantee that we will be able to return the artwork in the condition that you sent it in, if at all.
A-Kon® 28 at the Fort Worth Convention Center
The Fort Worth Convention Center is within walking distance of thousands of downtown Fort Worth hotel rooms, a variety of delicious restaurants and fabulous shopping. It offers more than 250,000 square feet of exhibit space, nearly 60,000 square feet of flexible meeting space, an impressive 28,160 square-foot ballroom, a 13,500 person events arena, and a 55,000 square foot events plaza that connects to the one-of-a-kind Fort Worth Water Gardens.