Kon Survival Tips
Preparing for a convention is quasi-art form, quasi-science. These lists are intended as a helpful guide on what to bring and prepare for.
- A bag to put your stuff in. (stick a small folding bag in your luggage for holding your new loot)
- YOUR MONEY
- Clothes for 4 days (don't forget clean socks and undies!)
- Comfy Shoes. I strongly advise against new shoes at con, it's no fun.
- Cosplay outfit if you have one. (Bring an emergency sewing kit! - Bare bones: thread and needles, safety pins, hot glue and scissors. Small hot glue gun and duct tape!)
- Toothbrush / toothpaste
- Hair brush / comb
- DEAR GOD BRING SOAP
- Extra towel may not be a bad idea
- Sleeping bag / pillow / etc if you're on the floor
- Don't forget your money!
- CD's or MP3 player for the car trip
- Energy Bars and bottled water aren't a bad idea. Dehydration ends the party.
- Pack sandwich making things in a cooler if you're on a tight budget. (PB&J doesn't need a cooler. - The hotel coffee maker could be used to boil water for ramen, but it'll taste strange.)
- Sharpie marker, in case you want something signed!
- Your Cell Phone. It's easy to get separated from your friends at con!
- Camera + extra batteries
- Chargers for phone, mp3 players, etc.
And finally, bring a lot of patience. Like an amusement park, you will encounter lines everywhere. Think of this as a great time to make new friends and find out more about what's going on at the convention. You'll likely see people picochatting on their DS's too, so bring yours if you'd like.
THE LONG LIST - Originally compiled by Meaho
- Towels - not white, hotels usually use that color and you don’t want to mix them up
- Toothpaste, Toothbrush, floss, Mouthwash
- Soap/ Body wash
- Shampoo and Conditioner
- Hair brush, product, pins/ties/etc
- Air Freshener (good against bathroom smells)
- Toilet Paper
- Contacts with case and solution (extra contacts) / Glasses
- Razor and Shaving Cream
- Feminine Hygiene
- extra jewelry for body piercings/retainers for your piercings
- Pillows – no white pillow cases
- Blankets and/or sleeping bags
- Something to sleep in
- Sinus meds (see medical needs)
- Prescription medications
- Pain killers
- Sinus Meds: new place means new allergens. Plus, helps prevent snoring.
- Eyeglass Repair Kit
- Ear Plugs
- ** If you have a known medical issue, please report it to the A-Kon Medical Staff when you get to the con so that they can be prepared to assist you. They appreciate a warning.
Food and Snack Ideas
- Granola/ Protein/ Cereal Bars
- Easy Mac or Easy Hamburger Helper
- Canned Food (Don't forget the Can Opener!)
- Bread Peanut Butter and Jelly
- Crackers Cheese
- Lunch meat
- Hot Pockets
- Water Gatorade/ PowerAde
- Tea, Coffee
- Juice and Juice boxes (alright sunny-d!)
To Fix your food/ drinks
- Hot water
- Plates, Cups, Bowls, Silverware
- Paper towels
- Cooler/ ice chest – may need more than one. Get Ice BEFORE you get to the hotel
- Cell Phone / PDA + Charger
- DS, PSP, etc + Charger
- Two-way radios + Charger
- Laptop + Charger
- Camera/ Camcorder EXTRA Memory/Film/Download cable + Charger/batteries
- Media Player (Ipod, etc) + Charger
- Power strip – you are bringing a lot of chargers, and not a lot of plugs
What to wear
- Clothing for four days (since it's a three day con!)
- Something to put dirty clothes in
- Cosplay costume
- Comfortable shoes – new ones can give you blisters. (**A-Kon, 4th floor Central, Laundry room)
- Bring Cash – ATMs onsite usually run out (I try to take $200 in small bills)
- Cash Box (if room doesn’t have a safe – call hotel to find out before you arrive)
- Cardboard Tube – for posters, so they don’t get damaged
- A small foldable bag to pack them in – for when you leave.
- Items to be autographed
- Sharpie/ autograph markers – this way, you can choose your color
Nice to have items
- Post-it notes and a pen – leave a message for your roomies
- Glow sticks – for the dance
- Swimwear and Sunblock (pool or hot tub)
- Costume and Accessories
- Safety pins/ bobby pins/ clear double stick tape/ Fabric or super glue/ hot glue gun.
- Needles and Thread, mini sewing machine, scissors
- Extra parts that are unique to your costume
Once you are packed, ready to go, and everything is in the car, read this:
- Wallet with ID
- Cell Phone
- House Keys
- Don’t forget that person who is riding with you.
- Tell somebody what time you are leaving, call them when you get there.
A-Kon® 28 at the Fort Worth Convention Center
The Fort Worth Convention Center is within walking distance of thousands of downtown Fort Worth hotel rooms, a variety of delicious restaurants and fabulous shopping. It offers more than 250,000 square feet of exhibit space, nearly 60,000 square feet of flexible meeting space, an impressive 28,160 square-foot ballroom, a 13,500 person events arena, and a 55,000 square foot events plaza that connects to the one-of-a-kind Fort Worth Water Gardens.